I’ve stated in previous a post that when I was a squadron commander I spent 95% of my time dealing with 5% of the people…typically discipline issues. If you’ve been in a similar role, especially in the military, you could probably echo that statement. Think about that statement though…5%…that meant that the other 95% kept their nose clean, did their job and went home at the end of the day. Here’s what I learned from that:

Just because someone couldn’t come to work on time…didn’t mean that the entire shop came to work late.

Just because someone in the shop thought they could do drugs…didn’t mean the whole shop was doing drugs.

Just because someone couldn’t pass their PT test…didn’t mean the whole shop couldn’t pass the PT test.

I could continue the list…but the gist is this, just because 5% of the squadron had some discipline problems didn’t mean the entire squadron was a discipline problem.

Look around…we need to quit focusing on the 5% and start focusing on the 95%! That’s all I’ve got to say about that…have a great day!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.